"Running is many things to me: survival, calmness, euphoria, solitude. It is proof of my corporeal existence, my ability to control my movement through space if not time, and the obedience, however temporary, of my body to my will." -Henry DeTamble
-The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Page 154)
This quotation is essential to the novel because the protagonist, Henry DeTamble, a time traveler, is always running: running from himself, running to save himself, and most often running to the love of his life, Clare. By reading this thought, we enter Henry's mind and are able to understand the importance that running holds for him. Henry's need, as well as his love of running, is what keeps him alive. Henry's ability to time travel is more of a curse than a gift; the only promise it has given him was meeting Clare Abshire. Since he is unable to control when he time travels, where he goes, and for how long, he must quickly adjust to any situation. Henry can only bring himself when he time travels; therefore he appears in a different time and place, naked and vulnerable. Running is the basis of his survival; he needs to run in order to remain alive. When he instantaneously appears somewhere in his past or future, he depends on his ability to run.
I chose this passage because I can relate to his profound need to run. To me, running is my survival, calmness, euphoria, and solitude as well. Running keeps me sane when things are unsettling, and stressful. It's an escape for me to let go of my anger, sadness, and frustrations. When I get anxious, running is a way for me to be me without words; no explanations are needed while running. I can express my feelings with each movement against the ground. Even when I am in a good mood, running helps to bring those feelings to the surface. When I run, I feel a sense of promise and productiveness. As my pace quickens, everything else around me slows down, I am the one leading, I am the one in control at that very moment. For the time that I am running, I am in command of myself and the world around me; there are no surprises, just me, and the ground beneath my feet. With each stride, I change a part of myself: physically, mentally, and even spiritually. Running keeps me in shape and my body healthy; mentally I am able to be alone with my thoughts, I can reflect on feelings without interference. Running has taken a spiritual form for me as well. I have depended on running to help me find answers, answers to questions involving the world around me, and answers to questions involving myself. Although I sometimes feel as though I'm running to escape my life, and everything uneasy around me, I'm actually running towards the person I'm becoming, just as Henry was always running to the person that he loved.
-The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Page 154)
This quotation is essential to the novel because the protagonist, Henry DeTamble, a time traveler, is always running: running from himself, running to save himself, and most often running to the love of his life, Clare. By reading this thought, we enter Henry's mind and are able to understand the importance that running holds for him. Henry's need, as well as his love of running, is what keeps him alive. Henry's ability to time travel is more of a curse than a gift; the only promise it has given him was meeting Clare Abshire. Since he is unable to control when he time travels, where he goes, and for how long, he must quickly adjust to any situation. Henry can only bring himself when he time travels; therefore he appears in a different time and place, naked and vulnerable. Running is the basis of his survival; he needs to run in order to remain alive. When he instantaneously appears somewhere in his past or future, he depends on his ability to run.
I chose this passage because I can relate to his profound need to run. To me, running is my survival, calmness, euphoria, and solitude as well. Running keeps me sane when things are unsettling, and stressful. It's an escape for me to let go of my anger, sadness, and frustrations. When I get anxious, running is a way for me to be me without words; no explanations are needed while running. I can express my feelings with each movement against the ground. Even when I am in a good mood, running helps to bring those feelings to the surface. When I run, I feel a sense of promise and productiveness. As my pace quickens, everything else around me slows down, I am the one leading, I am the one in control at that very moment. For the time that I am running, I am in command of myself and the world around me; there are no surprises, just me, and the ground beneath my feet. With each stride, I change a part of myself: physically, mentally, and even spiritually. Running keeps me in shape and my body healthy; mentally I am able to be alone with my thoughts, I can reflect on feelings without interference. Running has taken a spiritual form for me as well. I have depended on running to help me find answers, answers to questions involving the world around me, and answers to questions involving myself. Although I sometimes feel as though I'm running to escape my life, and everything uneasy around me, I'm actually running towards the person I'm becoming, just as Henry was always running to the person that he loved.
Oh wow Jacey, I really liked your of reason why you chose this passage and how it affects you. I also like that you said "I'm actually running towards the person I'm becoming, just as Henry was always running to the person that he loved." It shows your passion in something you love doing and then relating it to a book. Good job Jacey and I'm happy running makes you feel the way it does. ^_^ I hope you enjoyed the book.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Did you see the movie?
=) I love the way who you relate yourself to the book. It sort of made me feel like you wrote it. Definitely a great choice for quoting, and I agree 100%, people find different ways to get away from their personal issues; to find a distraction and feel better, like Henry does, time traveling, and yourself, with the passion you have for running. Also, in your last paragraph, I kept a line in mind: "..everything else around me slows down, I am the one leading" I know you wrote it metaphorically, but I take it literally. You are a great runner Jacey and always number one. =) good job..
ReplyDeleteJ-
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do think that your chosen quote illustrates the concept of the book well, I was much more taken with your personal response, which was both appropriate to the assignment and extremely well written. The idea of running as a sense of "promise and productiveness" is an interesting one - runners are never finished (always "miles to go " as Robert Frost would suggest), but they are always making progress ("lapping up the miles" as Emily Dickinson would say). Additionally, I agree with your commentators. Your last paragraph is nicely done, providing a succinct summation of your idea of running along with providing some very lovely imagery. Bring this creativity to your essays (and add some more analysis along the way!).