Monday, October 12, 2009

No Doctor in Faustus

Times have changed substantially since the time Faustus was written. Today, generally, people no longer quest knowledge or intelligence. People now would rather have something such as money or fame. For this reason I think that someone would sell his soul to be a superstar athlete. Although it is sad, it is so true. For example, no one knows who invented the internet but I bet a lot of people know that A-Rod is surprisingly performing in the playoffs. Even though the internet has been groundbreaking in modern society, it is nothing compared to a walk off home run. Right now I'm watching Monday night football and there is probably about 50,000 people in the stadium watching it and probably millions more at home. There is most likely not even 10% of this number at the releasing of the new Ipod. If Faustus were to exist now he would not be a doctor. He would probably skip college and go pro.
For this reason I think Mephy would appear as a sports agent. I sports agent is a tough negotiator who can promise the world (much like Mephy) when in reality he knows he can't. Just like when Faustus is awed when he gets the book, the athlete might be awed when his agent gets him a big time contract. Although the athlete might think that he is getting paid, so is the agent. Faustus is the same thinking he is getting the most out of the situation, but he is losing his soul. Another similarity is that Faustus' deal lasts only 24 years while an athletes career will probably last a lot shorter.

1 comment:

  1. Derrick-

    Your post made me laugh and cry (LOL/COL). First, how true that the modern Faustus would not be interested in knowledge but would be sitting on the couch watching sports. I like the idea that he would probably "skip college and go pro." That's the part that is both sad and funny. Has the professional sports industry created rich athletes who cannot read their contracts? I wonder if Faustus would take steroids to achieve his success? If he wanted to go super-evil, he would also be interested in dog-fighting to supplement his income. Finally, I enjoyed your rather ironic notion that the athletic contract is often much shorter than 24 years.

    ReplyDelete