If you enjoy literature with detail, then the Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is for you. Not only is the story line intriguing but beautifully written, it also opens your eyes to a common Faustian tale. This novel suggests to the protagonist, Dorian Gray, that the only thing worth having in life is beauty. Dorian realizes that his beauty will one day fade, and this petrifies him which leads him to "sell" his soul. This supports the idea that one is never truly satisfied with what they have. Selfishly, he wants the portrait of him to age, and for him to remain unaltered. Continuously he commits inhumane acts, tarnishing the reputations and lives of those around him.
Only when Dorian views the sin his portrait illustrates, does he feel remorse. The mutilation of the portrait is the mirror into Dorian's soul. Disgusted by his souls appearance, Dorian becomes concerned and thinks to repent. Dorian's whole life revolves around his selfish motive to have a "beautiful appearance" which leads to his tragic end. If you like this read, then check out the newly released movie Dorian Gray. This classic is definitely worth the read.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed The Picture of Dorian Gray immensely as well, so I got a little excited when I saw this review. Ms. Silva, thank you for the candy canes. My cavities are not your fault. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd don't worry, I fed the blog fish.