Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wordsworth's Spots of Time: Due by Tuesday, December 22nd



From Wordsworth's The Prelude 12.208-218 (1805 Edition)


"There are in existence spots of time,
That with distinct pre-eminence retain,
A renovating virtue, whence-depressed
By false opinion and contentious thought,
Or aught of heavier or more deadly weight,
In trivial occupations, and the round
Of ordinary intercourse - our minds
Are nourished and invisibly repaired;
A virtue by which pleasure is enhanced
That penetrates, enables us to mount,
When high, more high, and lifts us up when fallen."



One of the essential elements of Wordsworth's poetics surrounds the notion of "spots of time," or those experiences (usually in nature) that return to us again and again in our memory through vivid images to invigorate, reawaken, and refresh our tired minds. For Wordsworth, these moments might seem small and inconsequential during the experience; however, when they return again in the mind's eye, they become a powerful force of mental pleasure and nourishment.


Is there a "spot of time" within your memory that you often recall when you are in need of a spiritual and mental lift?

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spot in time is when I went to Florida last year. I love this memory because in Florida, I felt as though I put my "New York" life on pause for a brief moment and it was so freeing. I had been under a large amount of stress at the time, and I felt as though I needed a break from everything happening. Florida was the perfect break for me because it was in a different state, and I here are numerous moments which I can refer back to which all help to put me in a better mood.

    I have been to Florida several times, but the experience of me going last year was different because I did not go with anyone in my family, nor did I visit anyone in my family. Despite my family's anger for this, I was extremely happy, and cut off all connections that I had in New York. I had my best friend with me, who I had been best friends with since third grade, so it was great to have her with me. She understood that I needed a break from the world, and she went along with almost everything that I decided we should do. Also, as my best friend, it was never necessary for us to "hold back." There were absolutely no barriers between us, and this didn't stop in Florida. This is one of my last memories with her, and because of that, I always look back to my time in Florida with a smile because of all the amusing times we were able to have.

    One of the many great things that I did in Florida was go on roller coaster rides. I must admit, they were a little disappointing because it was in Disney World, but I still loved the thrill, fear, and excitement of it. My favorite was Mount Everest, which a many of us went on twice because it was so invigorating. Another time which I loved was when a few of us decided to leave and walk to a carnival, and other great places which are not necessary to speak of. I found my time in city part of Orlando, Florida to be much better than when I was in the Disney World portion because we didn't go with a chaperon, nor anybody with us who we found to be annoying. It was one of the best parts of the trip because we had the ability to do all that we wanted without having to put into consideration other people's needs.

    Regardless of the fact that I find my time in Florida to be full of great memories, I know that it wasn't perfect. I actually got attacked by a bird (it wanted my ice cream), and there were other things which went wrong. Despite this, the numerous good times overpower the insignificant bad ones. I always look back on those four days and smile because it is one of the few times in which I was able to let go of everything. Although I don't doubt that I went a little far, and I shouldn't have, I loved these good times because I had so much fun. I don't plan on repeating any of the things which I did, and it isn't necessary because I will always have the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a myriad of extraordinary experiences in my life; however, there is one particular event that is unforgettable. It was nowhere near a mountain, a sea, or in a foreign country. In fact, it was in my cousin’s backyard.

    It was the year we bought our new house. We moved the trampoline to our cousin’s house for a short period of time. My parents were going insane packing everything to bring to our new house, so they left us at our cousin’s house for a while. When all of our cousins get together, we always plan to do something completely senseless and foolish in order to pass time. Our actions always tend to get us into loads of trouble. That day, my aunt was busy cooking and my uncle had gone out to buy something, so it was easier for us to devise a reckless plan and attempt to get away with it.

    Our idea was to jump off the roof onto the trampoline. All of us gathered together and pushed the trampoline right below the spot we were planning to jump off. We all climbed onto the roof eager to fall onto the trampoline. I looked down and suddenly beads of sweat emerged on my palms. “I can’t do this”, I said to myself. My cousins didn’t seem so excited about it either once they looked down; it was like we were standing on top of a cliff. “Hey stop being little babies and jump”, said my older cousin as he jumped off. We watched him fall onto the trampoline and laugh hysterically. We then waited for him to climb back up to the roof and tell us about his experience before we jumped. “It was awesome”, he said. Slowly, all of my cousins started to jump off. Even my sister did it! I looked down; the trampoline that had once been gigantic had shrunken into something that looked like and eyeball! After complaining for a long time, I finally decided to jump. While falling, I felt heat rushing through my body and my heart thumping as fast as it could as the wind brushed my cheeks. After landing on the trampoline, I was in shock as I looked up to the roof to see my cousins cheering for me. I actually did it and it was definitely worth it.

    The feeling I had when I jumped off the roof was remarkable. I still think about it even on a random car ride, smiling to myself like an idiot. This was my “spot of time” that I “retain with distinct preeminence.” Thinking about that feeling of the wind against my cheeks while falling “enhances my pleasures.” This is unquestionably a time where I experienced the sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My “spot of time” as you may guess is from a national park. I wrote about this experience in my college essay because it has had a huge impact on me and I keep thinking about it. I usually have a very bad memory when it comes to things that I did when I was younger, but I know this experience will have a lasting influence on me. It took place in Yosemite National Park this past summer, on my family vacation.
    As you may know, school (especially senior year) is incredibly stressful when you think of the hard classes and of course the college applications. I constantly start worrying about the smallest things, but the thought of my past trip always brings me back to a calm and worry-free place. It was in the middle of my family’s vacation in California and it was time to visit Yosemite. The waterfalls were drying up because it was late in the summer and all that was left was a light trickle, but the rock structures and animal life still made the trip exciting. The part that stands out to me most and is my “spot of time” is when my family and I went on a three mile hike to see a waterfall (or what was left of it). I remember the entire hike being completely uphill and I was trying to keep a constant pace and although I was tired, I kept pushing myself. The exercise was needed after all that I ate on that trip. For once, my short legs came in handy because I remember my dad telling me that because I am short, I have a lower center of gravity and walking uphill is easier. We eventually reached the waterfall after several flights of rocky steps. It was gushing but not as much as it did earlier in the summer. I saw people walking up steps and wondered where they were going. I wanted to go further, and because my mom and my sister did not have the energy, I only went with my dad. There were about 600 steps that we climbed to get to the top of the waterfall which was beautiful and I could see where we were just a few minutes ago and the height that we ascended. The next question was how to get down. My dad did not want to walk down the rocky uneven steps so we took the path with a more gradual decline. We thought it should only go downhill from here, but the first part of the hike down, was all uphill. We finally reached a spot where we turned around and saw another waterfall. That was an amazing sight and I took some pictures so I could show my mom and sister at the bottom. We did not think we would see that waterfall as there was a different path that was seven miles long which we would never think of taking. There was a long way down after that; switchback after switchback. The path was not ending, and although it took forever to get back to the main path, the experience was well worth it and I will never forget it. Once we reached the main path, we cruised all the way down to the bottom of it to meet with my mom and sister excitedly anxious to tell them what happened. I was proud of my aching feet and dirty calves and the memories made my fatigue seem worth it. So, when I am down or stressed from school, the thought of that part of my vacation always seems to stick out in my mind and make me feel calm again. There was a time when life was simple and there was no stress, and that was at that particular moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before joining the cross-country team, I hated running. However, I figured I would go ahead with my decision and see where it would take me. Our “homework” over the summer was to train and go for long runs. So every morning I went for a 30 minute run around the neighborhood, which was not so bad because the roads were level, no one was ever around, and because I ran as fast as a snail. One Saturday morning, my cousin, who happened to be a track star, asked me if I wanted to go for a run…to the Hudson River! My first thought was how crazy and impossible it would be for me to accomplish a 4-mile run. He told me that at the end of the run, there would be a surprise. I was terrified to run that far for so many reasons. My cousin was so much faster than I was and I had never run 2 miles without stopping. Nevertheless, I was really curious to know what the surprise was. While running, my cousin kept talking to me but all my attention was focused on how tired I was.

    By the time we got to the park, I was ready to collapse, but I was greeted by the glorious sight of the Hudson River. The sun beat down on our heads, but a cool breeze swept through our hair. The seemingly pristine water seemed to stretched for miles and miles. From where we were standing, we could see the entire length of the Tappan Zee Bridge and the expanse beyond it. It was a sight that took my breath away and that will stay embedded in my mind forever. What a sight that spot of time was! So now, whenever Aiello says we are going for a long run for track practice, I think back to that day when I first ran to the Hudson River.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My "spot of time" takes place in the fall. While it is not exactly one place, i truly enjoy thinking about the trees of fall. When I am feeling down, all I have to think about is trees with different colored leaves, especially the trees I would see when my family drives up to the Catskill Mountains to visit my grandparents. Not only are the trees changing colors, but because they are on mountains, it adds to the beauty. Whenever I seem to be feeling down, this comes to mind and helps me get over any tough situation I might be facing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over the summer I would jog between three and five miles to Anthony Veterans pool then go to swim practice. I know the distance because I made my mom drive in the car to see how far it was. Anyway, I can jog anywhere and there are so many more appealing views than the 9A. Though, this isn't my "spot of time" because of location, but because of the way I felt. Waking up to go jogging at 6 a.m. to get to swim practice at 7 was no treat, but I did it. In the summer, the mornings are warm, sometimes humid but there is a light breeze that just seeps through your hair you can't even imagine. 

    I was not the only regular on the road, although at this time of day a lot of people are not out and about, there are some who are. I would recognize a few of the same cars and usually see if I could meet them at the same point each day. I won't forget this one bus driver though, he drives a school bus, and whenever he saw me he stuck his thumb up, then honked and always smiled. I don't know him, but he just made me feel a little better, like he was proud of what I was doing, and I felt important.
    I would always push myself to do a little more each day, I would try to go further and further up steep hills, longer without breaks, and faster somedays. Reminiscing about it now I feel stronger. This was before cross country season, before the training, before it all, and I was able to push myself on my own. This was all me.

    By the time I reached the pool, I just wanted to sleep. Rather a nice comfy bed, I dove into the water instead. Have you ever jumped into a pool after working out? It is heavenly. The water engulfed me and soothed all the parts of my body I could have sworn were going to be swollen for days. I felt light, calm, and relaxed. Even though I usually would just glide in the water, It was probably one of the most productive things I could have done at that moment, I was at peace with myself.

    My "spot of time" didn't occur in just one day, Some days were better than others, but in my mind I have pieces of those best days strung together as one, and that's exactly how I will remember it. When I have thoughts where I feel, "I can't" do something, I bring my mind back to my "spot of time" and know that I can. Just remembering the feeling makes it all worth trying to replicate it, in which ever way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. he moment that I recall is when I visited one of the wonders of the world, Machu Picchu. At first I was not that excited on going, being that I had to wake up 5 in the morning to catch the train. Any idea of sleep had gone away, however, as soon as I arrived to Machu Picchu. I had never seen, and still haven't, a more beautiful site. The stones seemed to blend into the mountains. It made one seem not on top of the world, but rather part of the world. The city was perfectly located. It was high enough to feel the breeze of the mountain air yet low enough to not feel the frigid cold. I wondered if other cities like this are lost deep in the jungle of the Andes.

    What made it better was that I was seeing a first hand example of my culture. I could not help but feel proud. The day only go better as I learned the significance of different rooms as well the reasons behind certain decorations. I can still recall the tour guide explaining how the Incas used holes in the wall as a type of amplification device. I also remember my little brother climbing the walls and running through the narrow passages as if he lived there his hole life. Most of all I remember my grandfather telling me that from then on I could point at any picture of Machu Picchu and say, "I was there." To this day it is this memory that provides me with a lift when I am in need of it. It is relieving to know that something as wonderful as Machu Picchu can exist on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly I cannot recall an amazing event or picture in my mind that has bought me a sense of fulfillment. As much as i try to look back at my memories, there are not any memories i can just recall for a mental uplift. However, whenever I do need to get away from everything, on a summer day, i would just lay down on my back and look at the amazing stars. I do not know why, but this kind of feeling just gives me such relaxation and lets me calm down. I can just think about anything thats on my mind. Wordsworth's idea that this usually happens in nature has to be correct. Nature is so beautiful and us humans sometimes never appreciate the beauty. The laying down on my lawn looking at the stars or even the sunset is my way of escaping from all the stress in the world. The creation of nature can match no other because it is so peaceful, which gives me this sort of inner peace. If i could just relax on the grass and look into the sky all day, it would be amazing.

    Other moments of uplift are when i am with my friends. I know this does not relate to nature, but whenever i need to look back on something to make me laugh or smile, it happens with memories of my friends. Whenever i am with them it is never a dull moment and they can make anyone laugh. There are so many memories that i cannot recall most of them but my friends give me that emotional uplift. They are always there to pick me up in times of distress or anything. All i need in my life is the beautiful sky and my closest friends. = )

    ReplyDelete
  14. At first when I thought about the "spot of time" within my memory, I was at a loss. Then I remembered the time when I went to Bahamas for the summer; my parents decided to go jet-skiing which was unfathomable to me. After listening to my brother’s excitement once he went on it, i decided to take the chance. Getting on the jet-ski made my heartbeat race as i pressed the gas; soon I was skimming across the water. Such a moment can be seen as being sublime; seeing such a beautiful place excited me immensely, but at the same time my heart was pounding out of fear. The fear that was faintly in the back of my mind was that I would fly off the jet-ski and fall into the deep water. However, to my amazement I wasn’t flying off the jet-ski, I was doing the complete opposite; I was floating over the clear blue water. This chance that I took made me feel free and untouchable to the realities of the world.
    Whenever I feel stressed beyond belief, I go back to the very moment I accomplished such a feat. I realize that if I have the ability to overcome my fear of disappearing into the deep water, I can find a way through the stressful situation. At the moment I went jet-skiing I felt like it was a minute part of my life. However, glancing back every once in a while I realize that it was invigorating and made me feel with all my senses (except taste of course). I honestly don’t get the chance to go through such an experience; hence, I cherish the moment greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In spring 08, I signed up to be part of the cross country team. At that time, i was very much overweight and running in any way seemed an impossible task for me. Therefore, in that summer, I jogged on the sidewalk from my house in North Evarts to K Mart almost every single day. That particular journey is my "spot of light". In a strange way, that section of sidewalk paved the way for bigger and better things in my life. Since I started jogging, which eventually evolved into running over time, my mind felt clear and fresh. There is not a doubt that running gives you confidence. I used to go running around 6pm during that summer. I got to witness the sunset day after day, people like me exercising, cars moving in different directions for different purposes and making noises and so on. That habit that I forced myself to develop during that summer on the same sidewalk in the same environment will always be an inspiration that i will never hesitate to look back. IT's fair to say I have come quite a long way since then. From running on that sidewalk, it gave me a belief that i can achieve anything i want- there is no limit in anything. From running on that sidewalk, confidence and self-belief soared up my veins and took me a few steps closer to being a well-rounded human being. My life changed directions toward the brighter parts of my future. It is amazing how an ordinary environment as simple as a 2 mile far side walk can have that much an impact on a naive 15 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One spot in time that has really stuck to me wasn’t actually one experience. It was a collection of experiences that has happened. Although I haven’t skated in a while, being off the ice has actually reminded me how wonderful it feels to being on it. Looking back on my memories of skating has also made me appreciate it more.
    It has been two months since I have last skated. Sometimes when I lay down, I put my iPod on and turn on a song that I can imagine myself skating to. There are other times when I’m upset, annoyed, stressed, or frustrated I think back to me skating or to a specific time when I landed a jump I worked so hard on. At the time the accomplishment was surreal, but now looking back on that achievement, the memory of it is something I could always replay in my mind. The images of my friends and coach actually clapping and supporting me when I landed my double salchow, double loop, and axel were comforting and even now after many months the feeling is even more relaxing.
    Skating relaxes me and it is one of the few things that I could consider my ultimate escape from everything. When I’m on the ice, it is as if all my problems disappear when I’m on the ice. Since I’m not on it every single second of my life, I try to relive the memory of each stroke, crossover, and program that I’ve done that day or in the past. Skating is my outlet and when I’m not on the ice, I try to relieve every moment that I have been on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoever created the phrase, “life is complicated,” is a very smart individual. Everyone knows that life has its ups and its downs but when we experience one of those “downs,” it usually impacts us a lot more then an “up” would. It overcome these downfalls, we often look to a moment in our life that brought happiness or an uplift to us that allows us to overcome that downfall.
    Although there are many moments that give me a little lift when I’m down, there is one particular moment that affects me the most. This is the moment where I went 135 mph in a car that I drove. Yes, I know it may sound crazy but it is what it is. I can remember that night clearly. I had so many problems running through my mind that I just didn’t know what to do. Usually when I’m stressed, I go to the gym and work out but at 3:25 in the morning, that wasn’t going to happen. The next best thing was to go on a drive. Of course, my parents were asleep which made it easier for me to sneak out. I took the car and went on a short drive to my friend’s house so I could use his car since my car was an automatic and his car was manual. What made it perfect was the fact that there were no cars on the highway and that there were no cops either. And off I went: from first gear to second; second to third; third to fourth; and fourth to fifth. Before I knew it, I went from 5 mph to 135 mph. At that moment, I closed my eyes and let go of the steering wheel. Although it was just for 7 seconds, I felt like time just froze around me. For those seven seconds, nothing mattered. All my problems seemed insignificant to me; it was just me, the car, and the road. I saw the trees were whooshing by me as if they were meteor rocks flying by as I zoom past them in my spaceship. It was just amazing. I came back to reality and began to slow down. At the moment, seven seconds felt like 7 lifetimes. The adrenaline pumping vigorously through my veins; it was just exhilarating.
    Now, whenever I feel down, or discouraged, I just think about those seven seconds and what I felt during that short amount of time. Ah the rush, you gotta love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry for commenting late it is my fault I just forgot about the assignment.

    The spot of time that I could never forget was the time I went to Las Vegas with my family when I was 9. That year it was odd because the break was longer than usual. So, we were going to see my mom's brother to get married, but that is not what amazed me. The thing that amazed me was the hotel I stayed in. It was called Circus Circus. The hotel had one of the largest indoor amusement park. Also, inside the hotel there was this carnival feeling of arcade games, and circus shows. So, I always remember the joy of the games and the thrill of being in Las Vegas without gambling. So, when ever I have thoose slumps that I believe that life pointless, I remember that there are places that exist that will bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete