I simply have to compliment others on their excellent analysis of the work and Barnet's introduction.
I fervently agree with Livia's observation that Faustus is unsure of himself. There are many quotes that reflect this, but my favorite is in the first scene of act II: "What might the staying of my blood portend? Is it unwilling that I might write this bill?" (II.i.65-66) This reflects an extreme uncertainty in Faustus' decision to sign away his soul, to the point that his life's essence, his blood, hesitates and congeals.
I found Derrick's post to be quite edifying, and his argument to be very poignant in relation to the play. I have often wondered when reading works that question the validity of religion, why God didn't choose to make everyone perfect, or the world perfect? This question always brings to mind an excellent quote by the ancient greek philosopher Epicurus: "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" In some ways, I find this question to be Faustus' question and moral struggle that compromises him so. He is unsure as to how and why God created man without a complete understanding of the world, so he turns to the only other omniscient character known to man for help: the Devil.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your wide knowledge of words :P lol
ReplyDelete