In today's world, the modern version of Faustus would most likely be a man. This is because many people would find it easier to believe that a man would be stupid enough to do such a thing. The past is evidence that men have made many mistakes for power, and possible happiness. Also, women usually thoroughly think things through before making such stupid decisions. Modern Faustus would be a man. It seems that someone young would do something stupid with selling their soul, but I don't think that Modern-day Faustus has an age limit. I actually think it would be ridiculous to give him an age limit because that would imply that after, or before, a certain age people are less likely to make irresponsible decisions based upon the possible benefit.
Modern-day Faustus(MD Faustus) would most likely sell his soul for money. He would enjoy the lavishes that would result from the possibilities that his money could buy, and to never have to work. Most of what would be brought would be materialistic. There would be cars, mansions, butlers, etc. But what else would there be? I think that MD Faustus would expect happiness to come out of wealth, but be extremely disappointed. I think sometimes people need to worry about money, or worry about something. People who live an apparently stress less life usually find something to stress about. MD Faustus would end up bored and unhappy, which would result in the corruption of himself.
MD Faustus would be very similar to the old version of Faustus. I think that both would commit the Seven Deadly Sins. MD Faustus would commit sloth, because he would most likely have a butler and end up lazy. He would also commit greed because he would have everything that he thought he wanted, but would still want more. MD Faustus would be selfish; never once would he donate a part of his money to charities or any nonprofit organizations. In many ways, MD Faustus would be similar to many other people today who are rich and millionaires. Many of them have so much money that they don't need, but won't do anything production with it, and still want more.
I think it would be interesting if Faustus was a female. Although I do believe that a women would be more thoughtful in what she traded her soul for, she would still have the same result. I think that a woman is just as likely to slowly lose her life values just as a man would, but I think it would take more time.
If I could ask for one thing, I would not ask for much because I believe that all humans are capable of losing our moral values. We all are likely to forget what we need most with excess materials and success; to never forget who we were, where we came from, the people we love, and who we truly are. I would probably ask for the ability to do all achieve all that I want. That with I work hard, I will get what I want the most. Of course, similar to Faustus, I would ask one question; why do innocent people suffer?
~Mitchell Mirtil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mitchell-
ReplyDeleteI am still LOL at your opener! You seem to have a high opinion of the opposite gender. However, if women could not be Faustus, then what do you make of money/fame hungry ladies like Brittany and Madonna? Have they sold some element of their souls for celebrity? Are there other women who might fit the description?
I also agree with the idea that our society seems to want more than it needs. Are we all a bit like Faustus after all?